compendium copies in English, French & German.
I thought it was a very good D paper - the DII had a classical feel with a limited number of issues to deal with, but still a lot of options to think through and to advise about. The technology was very simple to understand, and there were limited dates to fit in your timeline. I may have missed something obvious😉, but I thought the DII was very well constructed. No loose threads or time-killing legal issues - it fits together like some of the older papers. A lot of work to get through, but possible to get the main parts within the time.
The DI questions had a good mix of familiar legal issues and new ones (new to the exam). Both the DI and DII had some parts that you could spend a lot of time on, but time management is a key skill on all the papers. You need to sometimes to force yourself to stop what you are doing and to move on, even if you feel like you have more to write. A noticeable amount of PCT, but most of the legal issues have either been on the exam before, or are relatively well-documented.
Most of the people I chatted to afterwards were very happy with this paper. Only the time - some overran in DI and some overran in DII. I still had quite a few things I could have written in some parts, but I had to skip them to get further in the paper.
See below for more details and possibly some spoilers.
I started with DII and spent about 3 hrs 20 mins. Legal issues included:
- running shoes with nanoparticles in the soles
- genus / species relationships
- broader claim claiming priority of a narrower one
- limited to only DE and AT exploitation, which reduces the states you need to discuss
- employee stealing inventions "Mr Furious" 😡 (frequent DII issue)
- errors made in translating (previously seen in DII 2005 Windmill Wing)
- press releases and internet publications
I then spent 1 hr 55 minutes on the 5 DI questions. The combined EPC/PCT questions can really take a big chunk of time because half-way through you have to start your answer again.
- Stay of proceedings
- Third-party observations (PCT & EPC) - I think it is the first time this has been asked for PCT
- Missing claims on filing and how to fix (PCT & EPC)
- Priority (first application)
- translation of priority application
- Additional search fee under PCT
- Shortfall in deposit account under PCT (first time automatic debiting has been asked)
- Rules for bank transfer (it has been many years since they asked about transferring money)